Thursday, November 13, 2008

I am so VERY BLESSED!

This has to be one of my all time favorite pictures of Christ. For some reason it just gives me so much comfort and peace. I have been thinking and praying a lot today because tomorrow a member of my family is going to the doctor and the outcome could be very scary. I have been stressed, depressed and very anxious so I decided to think about all of my blessings and realized that it made me remember a time in my life that was amazing.

While I was at USU I was going through some very difficult situations and I stopped going to church, reading my scriptures, praying and eventually lost my testimony...that isn't the part I wanted to share, but it was kind of necessary so you could understand the next part because if you don't know the sorrow, you can't know the complete joy! I decided after years of living in this misery that I was sick of it and I was going to get some help from my bishop and a counselor at LDS family services. I worked sooooooo hard to get myself to a place of light, where I had felt I was in the darkness for so long. I had decided that I was going to make being worthy to go to the temple my goal. I worked for close to 9 months and I remember the day that I realized that I was truly a daughter of God! I was ready to burst out with my testimony at any moment!

When this realization came over me I wanted to shout from the rooftops that the church is true! I wanted to tell everyone that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the Living God! The atonement is real! I was reminded of the old saying "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it! And it is SOOO worth it!!! I have truly felt Gods love envelop me and I know he will never leave me alone. And I know that temple work is one of the greatest gifts we can ever give to ourselves as well as to others! But most importantly I know families are forever, and no matter what happens it's just all going to be ok! As the D&C says "Doubt not, Fear not!"

This is what I know!
(I feel like I need to end this as a testimony so, amen)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love this Shelley. I love that feeling in your heart when you know something is true and it brings joy. This was a great expression of your testimony. I hope everything works out with everyone's health. We'll be thinking of you!

Diana said...

It' okay & we'll make it!

kera said...

I love that picture too! I had no idea that you went through that at college... but it makes me so happy, and somewhat reflective, to read the words you wrote! I know we all go through hard times, and some of us have more hard times than others. But I also know that no matter what happens, the Lord is there to help you through it.

I'm sure you've heard the saying that sometimes God calms the storm, and sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child. I guess you made me think of that. Either way, having that calm is a great thing. :)