Monday, November 3, 2008

Gratitude

In the church we are often told that we need to have gratitude and a few years ago a friend of mine told me that she kept a gratitude journal . Anytime she was feeling a little low she would either read it or add to it. So a few years ago I decided to follow her example and it has done wonders for me, especially when I feel like I am sick all the time and life isn't fair and all of those other whiny things we all say to ourselves. So I just wanted to share some of my gratitude with everyone else!
First there are the obvious ones:
Family
The gospel
My Savior
TEMPLE WORK!!!
My nieces and nephews
SMART doctors
Scriptures
Then the not so obvious ones:
A breeze on a calm spring, summer or fall evening
Bamboo wind chimes
Sunsets
Star gazing
Cannon in D with ocean sounds (CD)
T.V and movies on a sleepless night because of insomnia
Reba's show
Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Books
Buying books
LDS Fiction (Anita Stansfield, Michelle Ashman Bell, Betsy Brannon Green...)
LDS non-fiction
Christmas crafts
Hot chocolate
Old T.V. shows
Little House on the Prairie
Forgiveness and starting over
Fresh peas from the garden
Lilac's in bloom
Fresh garden carrots
Shopping for purses
Reading friends blogs
Blizzards that keep you inside with your family and in front of a blazing fire
Frogs - not the real kind
The fact that I am not a pioneer woman because I would have died at least 7 times by now
Sewing
Cross stitching
Baking
Hearing my parents laugh hysterically, even if it is at me
Taking pictures
Spring and Fall
A cool breeze coming in the window on a hot night
Sending thank you notes, AKA: Love notes
Noodle soup when I am nauseated, which is about 50% of the time
The new and improved Rexburg Hospital...well, maybe just the new rooms
I got to see my first temple marriage in September
Buying tons of stuff I don't need at the dollar store
Some people might think that I am just silly because I am grateful for Bamboo wind chimes and any other kind just won't do or that I am ok with being nauseated 50% of the time because I have grown to love noodle soup. But all this really is, is focusing on the positive. We all have PLENTY of the negative, but do we spend enough time thinking positive? I challenge everyone to start a gratitude journal...it has to be written down...and see what a huge difference it will make in your life, no matter how silly it is!!!!

2 comments:

Diana said...

Gratitude is definitely a learned art! You have a wonderful list. They're a great reminder of all we have!

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

I loved your gratitude list. Especially because it brought back so many good memories for me too. Remember watching Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea over and over in our apartment(s)? It was great. I also loved your Top 10 list. I LOVE reading your blog! I'm so glad you started one!
Amy