Monday, October 13, 2008

The top 5 DUMBEST hospital moments...from last week!

WARNING
All names, locations, accents, races, and sexes have been changed to protect the innocent.

Here we go, the top 5 dumbest things said/done to me at my most recent hospital stay (and I wish I would have taken some pictures because the rooms are quite nice in the new hospital...only I would be able to truly compare!)

5. I was supposed to have a breathing treatment every 4 hours around the clock. The 3rd night there I woke up gasping and coughing realizing that it had been nearly 7 hours since my last treatment. I called the nurse and she came to turn my oxygen all the way up and when the guy finally came he said "Oh, a...well...the orders read every 4 hours but I thought if you really needed one someone would call me"...way to instill confidence in a patient!!!

4. At the 5th IV attempt as I was bleeding all over (I have the bruises to prove it) the nurse said to me with a concerned look "you're not here for a transfusion are you?"

3. Although I made it abundantly clear that I am deathly allergic to chicken and turkey the guy helping me plan out the day's menu said confidently "well, it is actually just the chicken breast that we are serving for lunch, so that should be fine right"...I wanted to say, "actually all I can have is the beak and the toes, so if you could bring me a few of those in some rice I would really be grateful."

2. As a nurse came in to check my vital signs she said "let's take you off the oxygen for a few minutes and see what happens because I am not quite convinced that you really need it." As the minutes ticked by and my oxygen fell to 79% the nurse finally came back and said "well, I guess the doctor was right"...hum, ya think?

1. And the number one dumbest thing said to me in the hospital was when I first got into my room from the ER and the nurse was helping me get into bed. She said so kind and loving "is that our gown or did you bring that from home?" So, to set the record straight, although I do love them, I DO NOT collect hospital gowns...but the light airiness of them tends to grow on me :D

4 comments:

Diana said...

Funny, funny!

jenifer said...

have you tried chicken hearts? seriously, i think this is something to think about...
glad you're feeling better!!

Alyssa said...

I love your sense of humor!! I wish every stinking day that we were closer!!

Dawn said...

Shelley I must say you have the best stories to tell. Great Story telling. Glad that you are no longer there.