Thursday, December 4, 2008

Potpourri simmering on the stove or soup?

The other night I had made clam chowder for dinner and my mom wasn't feeling well so I made her some tomato soup. I also had some yummy potpourri boiling on our stove filling our house with the sweet smell of Christmas. My dad was a little confused and thought we had 3 different soups to choose from. I am not sure why he thought that this looked appetizing but he tried it without telling anyone. The next day he told me that he had a taste of that "different" soup on the stove and his comment was something like when I bit into the things that look like sticks, they really tasted like sticks! Some may say that I am heartless but I couldn't help but chuckle a little...well it really was a full on laugh after I picked my jaw up off the floor. Sorry dad!!!



Here's the recipe:

Christmas Fragrance Simmering Potpourri
5 to 6 cinnamon sticks, broken
half a lemon peel cut into pieces
half an orange peel cut into pieces
1/2 c. whole cloves
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
1/4 c. whole allspice
1 Tbsp. bay leaf pieces
2 slices dried apples, optional

Combine ingredients, add water to cover and simmer on stove top or in potpourri pot.

1 comment:

jenifer said...

This is so funny, but a little sad. I'm definitly going to try the recipe. I have another friend who makes 2 parts apple cider, one part cranberry juice and a box of red hots. It smells SO good AND it's edible. (No sticks for Uncle Steven.)
Here is our address (WE LOVE MAIL!)
3405 Oakridge Ave.
Lubbock, TX 79407
love ya!!