Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Spa Day!!!

I think I have the best calling in the church. I am the Achievement day leader for the 10 & 11 year old girls. The girls I have are so completely opposite in every way, but they mesh so well when they are together. The beginning was a little hard so I decided we needed to have a little talk. At our next activity we gathered around the table and I asked the question "Who is the most popular person in the room?" All of the girls looked at me like I was crazy and didn't say a word. My response was "I am!" Then I started to name each of them also. I told them that achievement day was equal playing field, no one was popular or unpopular, no one was better than anyone else we were all children of God and that meant we were equal. I also said that if anything mean was "accidentally" said I would hurry and say equals and the offender would promptly apologize, and it actually worked!!

The lesson I had chosen to give was on having good hygiene. Because they are coming to that dreadful age of puberty i thought this would be important, but I didn't want it to be a "take a shower everyday and use your deodorant cause your startin' to stink girls!" I wanted it to be fun. I started by talking about all the hygiene stuff, and then moved to how it's really your inner beauty that makes your outer beauty shine. Then I gave the girls a cute bag with deodorant, chap stick, body spray, face wash, lotion, mouth wash and I think something else, but they were so excited to have all of the fun stuff in their gift bags.

For the activity part I called it a Mother/Daughter Spa Day, so the moms were there for the whole day. We had a station for painting toenails and fingernails. Mom's painted the daughters and then the daughters painted the mothers (I only saw a few mom's redoing nails while the daughters weren't looking.) A pool with warm water and citrus fruit cut up inside it (we cut up lemons, limes and oranges to make the water fun, and the smell with them in the warm water for so long was AWESOME!!) We also had a station for a facial table where the girls could put on blue mud masks and they LOVED that.








At the end of the activity we had hand and foot shaped sugar cookies with flesh colored frosting and small jelly belly's to put on for the colored fingernails and toenails. It was a huge stress getting it set up and everything bought and made, but so worth it to see the girls and their mom's together and having fun.


3 comments:

darinangel said...

I love that idea. I like how you brought up the hygiene factor. You were meant for this calling. Great job Shelley.

Mary said...

Hey, that looked like a blast! Also like a lot (a LOT) of work, so nice job! I'm also turning a little red from the shout out... How nice of you. Glad you liked the flowers. You are so sweet. Hope you are feeling better! Breathe better!!!

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

I think you have the best calling in the church too. LUCKY!!!