Friday, January 1, 2010

Thoughts

This has been a very difficult holiday season for myself and for my family. We got some sad news about my dad a few days before Christmas and it has made it really hard to enjoy much of anything. My focus has been on spending real quality time with my family and enjoying every last minute we have together. I am so grateful for all of my friends who are always giving me such great support on this blog or with phone calls. It is all of you that are making me strong enough to continue. I was looking through my book of quotes and found some of my favorites.


"I rejoice in belonging to such a loving and caring organization [as the Church]. No one knows better how to bear one another's burdens, mourn with those who mourn, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort. I choose to call it 'enduring together.' What happens to one happens to all. We endure together."May we be an instrument in lightening the burden of others."
"Enduring Together," Ensign, Nov. 2007, 11


"Through tears and trials, through fears and sorrows, through the heartache and loneliness of losing loved ones, there is assurance that life is everlasting. Our Lord and Savior is the living witness that such is so."
"I Know That My Redeemer Lives!" Ensign, May 2007, 25


"At . . . moments of crisis and challenge, some choose to abandon faith just at the time when it most needs to be embraced. Prayer is ignored at the very hour when it needs to be intensified. Virtue is carelessly tossed aside when it needs to be cherished. God is forsaken in the all-too-human yet mistaken fear that He has forsaken us. "The truth is that our only safety, our only security, our only hope is to hold fast to that which is good. As the mists of darkness gather around us, we are only lost if we choose to let go of the iron rod, which is the word of God."
"Faith, Service, Constancy," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 14

I am so appreciative that the Lord saw fit to bless me with an eternal family and for the knowledge of all the truths the gospel brings.

4 comments:

:) said...

Hi Shelley, don't know if you remember me but this is Natalee Smith from Sugar City. I found your blog a while ago and enjoy reading what you have been up to. I just want you to know that you and your family are being thought of and prayed for. I have always enjoyed your family/parents. What a wonderful family you have. Hang in there! Thanks for letting me comment. Natalee

A Forever Family said...

Hi, Shelley. My heart hurts for you and for all have this burden in which they have been called to bear. I do not have your number, but I would love to call you sometime whenever you would like to talk. I'm here if you need me, email me your number. Love Tanya

Suzette said...

I heard about your Dad. I am so sorry, Shelley. I'm thinking of you all.

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

Love you billions Shelley! You can call me anytime, but I will wait to call you so you can have lots of family time right now. You're all in our daily prayers.

HUGS!!!!