Sunday, October 3, 2010

AMAZING CONFERENCE WEEKEND!!!


I can't believe that I am going to try and write about the profound effect conference had on me at 11:47 tonight. I am exhausted, but feel I need to write down my feelings while they are fresh. Some of you might think I am a little weird, but I started taking notes during conference when I was in high school and I have been doing it ever since. I do it partly because it seems like I never have a chance to read the Ensign, but also because I pay attention so much better.

As you all know, things have been crazy in my life right now (and just so you all know, I understand that everyone has problems and I don't want anyone to think that I don't realize that) and there were so many points made that humbled and comforted me such as:


  • President Uchdorf reminded me that we are not required to "run faster than we have strength", he said we need to go at the optimal speed for our circumstances. This meant so much because I am always saying that I want to be a "normal" person with energy to do whatever I want, but my health problems keep me from doing a lot of that, AND IT IS OK!

  • I realized that I really need to reevaluate how strong my faith really is, especially considering the faith to be healed.

  • Elder Packer said we don't need to dwell in the past, we need to look to the future. Living in the past will only drag you down!

  • President Monson reminded me that I need to have an ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE! I need to "stop focusing on what I lack and count my blessings!"

  • Forgiveness was mentioned in a talk, and I have been very consumed with my own problems lately. I get so down and feel so defeated when I am sick for such long periods of time and I don't get to see friends and relatives. Sometimes I have even been angry and holding grudges because i feel so insignificant when no one calls or comes to visit (and I do know how busy all of you are). But I also learned that it is just as much my fault. How can I expect others to know what I need when I don't ask.

  • One of the last things President Monson said, with tears in his eye's is that "WE MUST ALL ENDURE TO THE END"! Really that is what matters most when our eyes are set on having ETERNAL LIFE!

I write this blog as a journal for myself and a place to vent my frustrations (as you all know), but I am so glad I have the opportunity to share things that mean so much to me! What a great weekend!!!





3 comments:

jenifer said...

loved your notes... and LOVED conference. wasn't it sooo good?!!

Melissa Sutton said...

I think it's great! :O) I loved every talk spoken . . .as usual. It's neat how a person can receive answers and comfort in each talk that might be something different than what another person might receive. :O) . . .the spirit teaches us all individually. I've thought about you and your health and wished i knew of some way that i could help. . .it's hard to know when i can't relate to where you are . . . i can relate to a very small degree when i am pregnant and feel drained and horrible. I can only imagine feeling a whole lot worse and all the time...i'm sorry this is your trial. It would be a hard one. You are an amazing person and you have such a big heart. Our Heavenly Father knows you are fit for this trial and you will overcome it in His time. If you do find a way that i can help, get a hold of me. :O) I'll keep you in my prayers.

A Forever Family said...

General Conference is almost as big as Christmas Day here. We love it and look forward to it each time. We are now just waiting for that grand time when they say we as Saints must gather to Zion for the 2nd Coming.=) It is so close Shelley, we can feel it's effects here in our home, the longing for it will only help it to increase faster for us to be with our loved ones. Keep praying to the Millennium so we all can have True peace and True rest from our cares and struggles of this Mortal- Telestrial World. Much Love To You Shelley, Love Tanya