Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Taking a vacation from my problems" - from What About Bob

As of right now I am taking a mental vacation from my life. I am way too stressed out and I am not enjoying life at all. I'm not sure what's going on to make my life so unfulfilling right now. I know the quote, I think from an apostle, that says when you are having a hard time forget yourself and go to work...meaning, start serving other. I took this really seriously after my dad passed away. I was engulfed in grief and I hated it so I started doing things little things for others. Then I didn't think it was working so I tried so much harder to always be giving service, some service could be seen, most could not.

This is where my natural man comes out and if you want to think I'm scum...ok. But, be honest, am I the only one that feels like I give and give and give and "feel" like I get nothing in return...except more health problems, which causes more stress, which causes more unhappiness and the cycle continues.

Maybe the doctor is right and I should just "up the Prozac." But to me that doesn't really seem like the answer. That is why I am taking a mental health vacation. I want to spend time doing the things that I want to do like:
*taking pictures
*sewing
*reading
*doing crafts
*watching the Anne of Green Gables series

I'm tired of stressing and I'm taking a break!

4 comments:

darinangel said...

Sounds like a good plan. You do need time for yourself.

Melissa Sutton said...

Good for you! :O) Everyone needs some time for themselves . . . besides developing a talent is a great way to boost your spirits. Have fun and enjoy :O)

Kendra said...

Shelley, you sooooo need that right now. Sometimes you just need to give yourself that time! What do they say, that you need to take care of yourself first so that you have the energy to take care of others later!! Love you!

Debbie Murdock said...

WOW...I'm WAYYYYY behind. Summer always seems to do that to me. I love what about Bob...remember baby steps!!! I used to feel the same way about giving and giving and nothing in return. Then I think of the Savior he gave everything and only asked in return that people follow him. There is a balance to all things.